Legal Counsel, Regulated Lending – Royal Bank of Scotland
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Legal Counsel, Regulated Lending
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Join us in Edinburgh as a Legal Counsel, Regulated Lending
- As an experienced lawyer, you’ll utilise your knowledge and experience as you analyse and resolve a variety of legal queries from stakeholders at both management and frontline level
- Benefit from facing off to a range of stakeholders across the business, including Commercial Banking, Business Banking and Capital Management, as you work directly on challenging projects designed to advance the bank’s strategic capital agenda
- This bespoke role offers a wide variety for you toget involved with
What you’ll do
As Legal Counsel, you’ll support the Head of Legal, Coverage & Capital - and other teams within Commercial Legal as required - to deliver the legal strategy and to discharge effective second line of defence responsibilities. You’ll provide, manage and coordinate the delivery of legal advice and support to a range of stakeholders.
- Manage legal risk across Commercial Banking, providing legal advice on a wide array of issues from strategic initiatives, transactional support, projects and regulatory support
- Provide advice and support on a broad range of issues relating to regulated lending (Consumer Credit Act 1974 and MCOB) to small businesses, including in relation to documentation, sales journeys, remediation and regulatory change
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with key stakeholders including senior management, project leads, and regulatory, control and product functions
- Keep up-to-date with and share relevant legal and market developments
- Work and operate proactively andon own initiative, identifying efficiencies, improvements and opportunities wherever possible
- Continuously improve the operating practices and processes of the Coverage & Capital team, with a focus on development and cost reductions
- Identify legal cost efficiencies using tenders, e-auctions and other tools, driving a culture of disciplined cost management and controls
The skills you’ll need
To succeed in this role, you’ll be a qualified lawyer with experience gained in-house or in a leading UK firm. You’ll also ideally have regulated lending experience.
As well as this, we’ll also look to you to bring:
- Knowledge of general banking and financial services law and practice
- Experience working with leading law firms and other professional advisers and consultants
- Knowledge and experience of CCA and MCOB regulated lending, ideally in relation to digital sales journeys and drafting credit documentation
- Knowledge and experience of managing issues relating to regulated lending (Consumer Credit Act 1974 and MCOB) to small businesses, including in relation to documentation, sales journeys, remediation and regulatory change
How we’ll reward you
In return, we offer a competitive salary and you’ll also join our retirement savings plan. You can also choose from a selection of protection, healthcare or lifestyle extras from RBSelect, our fully flexible reward programme.
Visit our reward and benefits page for more information on the benefit packages we offer.
At RBS, we want everyone to feel welcome, regardless of your background or needs. If you need adjustments making to your working environment, we’ll do everything we can to support you. As part of this commitment, we offer flexible working options for some of our roles - find out more.